Friday, November 23, 2018

Weight loss surgery

Aching joints, terrible back pain, and copious use of ibuprofen are just a few of the reasons why I decided that something has to change. I'm constantly worried that I'm going to have an MI, and die. Living at this weight is a constant challenge. I don't do the things at home that I want to do. I don't treat my family like I want to. I know it's affecting my performance at work whether or not I will admit it.

All those things were running through my head when I scheduled a physical with my PCP on September 10th, 2018. I had fasting blood work, I requested a referral to a surgical weight loss program, and I asked to have a sleep study done. My PCP was supportive, and readily met all my requests for help. 

Sleep Study: Oh boy, I wasn't expecting this one. I asked for one to be done because I was having symptoms of sleep apnea. As a matter of fact, I'd been having the symptoms for years and just ignored it. I figured if I was going to get my health back on track I needed to go all the way. The sleep study results showed that I had severe obstructive sleep apnea, and I needed to be on a CPAP nightly. It was so bad, the report told me not to operate heavy machinery. Yikes!

It took a little while, but I heard back on the weight loss surgery (WLS) referral and was signed up to attend an information session. It was required, and I had to bring a support person or they wouldn't let me continue in the program.  The information session went well, both my wife and I left there feeling very comfortable with my decision to have Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG). 

Following this class I had to have a psych eval to make sure I wasn't a wackadoo and could handle the massive change that WLS presents. Boy was that an interesting exercise. The office looked like something out of as TV show. I half expected a woman that looked like professor McGonagal to come ask to read my fortune! Thankfully I turned out to be quite stable, and after a THREE week wait, received my stamp of approval from the Psych doctor. 

Now to meet with the surgeon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.